Monday, June 21, 2010

A Clean House (recipes NOT for eating!)

After my Nana came over and told me how to get rid of the odor in my kitchen drains (pour plain baking soda in and let sit for a while, then rise), I got very interested in making my own household cleaning products. I've been concerned about the amount of chemicals I'm using--especially since my son is 16 months old and absolutely fearless.

I happened upon this website: www.eartheasy.com/live_nontoxic_solutions.htm that had many DIY cleaning products. Below are the ones I'm trying, but be sure to check out their site as they have many more recipes.

All Purpose Cleaner
1/2 C. vinegar
1/4 C. baking soda
1/2 gallon (2 Liters) of water

Store and keep this in a spray bottle. This will clean water deposit stains, windows, mirrors, etc.

Bathroom Mold
1 part hydrogen peroxide (3%)
2 parts water.

Mix in spray bottle. Spray on areas with mold. Wait one hour prior to rinsing or using shower.

Carpet Stains
Equal parts white vinegar and water.
Mix in spray bottle. Spray on stain and let six for several minutes. Clean with brush or sponge with warm, soapy water.

Heavy duty carpet stains:
1/4 C. salt
1/4 C. borax
1/4 C. vinegar

Rub paste into carpet. Leave a few hours. Vacuum.

Carpet Deodorizer
Sprinkle baking soda on carpet several hours prior to vacuuming.

Disinfectant
2 T. Borax
4 T. vinegar
3 C. hot water

Mix in spray bottle. Wipe clean.

Drain Cleaner
Light Version:
1/2 C. salt
4 Liters water

Heat (not to a boil) and pour down drain.

Heavy Duty Version:
Pour 1/2 C. baking soda down drain.
Then 1/2 C. vinegar.
After 15 minutes, pour in boiling water. Use only with metal plumbing. Do not use after using a chemical-based drain cleaner.

Floor Cleaner/Polish
For vinyl/linoleum:
1 C. vinegar
Few drops baby oil

Mix in 1 gallon of warm water. Use sparingly on linoleum.

For stone tiles/brick:
1 C. white vinegar
1

No comments:

Post a Comment