Saturday, October 2, 2010

Italian Chicken and Rice

My husband and I buy our chicken and steak from a door-to-door company. Consequently, I have chicken that has been pre-marinated with different flavors. I decided to try my Italian chicken with this recipe, since I didn't have any plain chicken on hand. I think this would work equally well with Lemon-Herb chicken (add some additional lemon juice to the rice while cooking).

Don't make the same mistake I made. This recipe uses INSTANT brown rice. I had to re-cook my rice for 20 minutes more when I realized the rice was still crunchy.

What's Needed:
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (pre-marinated in Italian dressing)
1 T. canola oil
1-2 chopped bell peppers (your choice of color)
1/2 an onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 C. INSTANT brown rice
2 C. chicken broth
1 1/2 C. frozen corn, thawed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 C. fat-free Italian dressing

1. In a large skillet, brown chicken in oil for 4 minutes per side. Remove and keep warm.
2. In same skillet, saute peppers, onion, and garlic until tender.

3. Stir in rice, broth, corn, dressing, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.

4. Transfer to a 9x13 baking dish coated with nonstick cooking psray. Top with chicken.

5. Cover and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Uncover; bake 5 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear.

Husband's Grade: A+
PointsPlus: 6 (1 chicken breast, 1/6 of the rice)

Inspired by: Everyday Light Meals

No comments:

Post a Comment